Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:22:07 -0700
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP project status

Here's a reminder that the SMP project is being tracked at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~jasone/smp/

Significant progress continues to be made.  Many of the tasks that are
listed as "in progress" are essentially complete, pending testing and
review.  In general, the SMP project has been going very smoothly, and
-current has been usable a larger percentage of the time than I had hoped
for.

Note that there are a number of unassigned tasks right now.  Some of the
tasks are pretty straightforward, so if you're looking for an opportunity
to help, please take a look at the list.

A couple of weeks ago, John Baldwin and Chuck Paterson created a list of
rules for kernel synchronization.  If you haven't looked at the rules yet,
take a look at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~jasone/smp/smp_synch_rules.html

Many of the developers currently involved in the SMP project were at BSDcon
last week.  We discussed a lot of technical issues surrounding the tasks
that are currently in progress.  We also discussed modes of communication.
Much of the SMP-related communication has taken place via IRC, phone, or in
person meetings.  In my opinion, IRC and voice are much more efficient than
email for many things, but I am increasingly concerned about the lack of a
permanent record for many of the conversations we've had up to now.  In
some cases, I've tried to go back and figure out why we made a certain
decision, only to realize that there is no record of how the decision was
reached.  Therefore, I ask that everyone make a concerted effort to
document issues and reasoning for decisions on the -smp mailing list.  This
also means holding technical discussions on the mailing list whenever
practical, and when not practical, summarizing on the mailing list.
SMP-related work is going to continue for several years in one form or
another, and there are probably people who are not even involved with
FreeBSD yet that will be doing some of the work, so we need to leave a
development documentation trail for those people, as well as for ourselves.

To those of you currently involved in the SMP project, thanks, and keep up
the good work!  To those of you not currently involved, maybe it's time to
jump in. =)

Jason
SMP project manager