Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:33:20 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Antonio Bemfica <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how do I mount a DOS ZIP disk? - etc.

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Randall Hopper wrote:

> By default, DOS ZIP disks come formatted with slice 4 designated the
> full-disk DOS slice.  So likely what you want is:
>
>         mount -t msdos /dev/sd0s4 /mnt

Yes, that worked fine, thanks a lot.

> Of course you can re-fdisk and format them any which way you want.

Now a question - why is is that a UFS formatted ZIP disk gives me so much
less storage space than a DOS one? Here's the ouput of df for the two
disks, both empty:

Filesystem      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0s4          98078        0    98078     0%    /zip
/dev/sd0            92607        0    85198     0%    /zip

I formatted the UFS disk with "newfs -T zip100 /dev/rsd0c" which I assume
takes the following from /etc/disktab:

zip100|zip 100:\
        :ty=removable:se#512:nc#96:nt#64:ns#32:\
        :pa#196608:oa#0:ba#4096:fa#512:\
        :pb#196608:ob#0:bb#4096:fb#512:\
        :pc#196608:oc#0:bc#4096:fc#512:

How can I tweak these numbers to get some more space on the ZIP disk? Is
is not safe? (I realise on hard disks Unix keeps some extra "invisible"
space aroud, but is it necessary on ZIP disks?) - also, is is possible to
format them with FAT16? mkdosfs complained when I tried.

> I tend to prefer putting my UFSs on my UFS ZIPs in slice 1, and leaving the
> DOS FAT FSs in slice 4.  Makes them easy to distinguish.  My "mountzip"
> script just tries to mount both slices, and succeeds on the correct one.

Would you consider sharing your script?

Antonio