Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 2010 17:45:08 +0100
From:      Bernhard Froehlich <decke@bluelife.at>
To:        <emulation@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   CFT: Fix VirtualBox on 9-CURRENT and recent STABLE

Dear patient VirtualBox User.

As you all know VirtualBox is currently broken on 9-CURRENT and STABLE
kernels. As far as i know from the various reports that only affects i386
and not amd64 - please correct me if i am wrong. The symptom is that it
works fine on an older kernel but on newer ones the VM aborts at startup
and when build with debugging you see the following assert:

00:00:15.481 !!Assertion Failed!!
00:00:15.481 Expression: paPages[i].Phys != 0 && paPages[i].Phys !=
NIL_RTHCPHYS && !(paPages[i].Phys & PAGE_OFFSET_MASK)
00:00:15.481 Location  :
/usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-3.1.2_OSE/src/VBox/VMM/MMHyper.cpp(610)
int MMR3HyperMapPages(VM*, void*, RTR0PTR, size_t, const SUPPAGE*, const
char*, RTGCPTR64*)
00:00:15.482 i=0x0 Phys=0000000000000000 Heap

Affected kernels are newer than:
* 9.0-CURRENT r202894 (Jan 23 18:42)
* 8.0-STABLE r203182 (Jan 30 06:23)
* 7.2-STABLE r203208 (Jan 30 18:17)

Alexander Eichner has done a rewrite of the memory allocation in
VirtualBox which is ready to get tested. This should fix the above problem
and also a double wiring problem noticed by Alan Cox. Please test our devel
ports and give us some feedback (uname -a, does this port work?) so that we
can proceed and get 3.1.2 fixed.

The procedure is:

- deinstall virtualbox-ose and virtualbox-ose-kmod (3.1.2)
- get the tarball from
http://svn.bluelife.at/nightlies/virtualbox-port-r755.tar.gz
- extract the tarball
- compile and install virtualbox-ose-kmod-devel and virtualbox-ose-devel
(3.1.51.r27187)
- reboot
- DO NOT START ANY IMPORTANT VM WITH THIS VERSION!! Better create a new
one or create a backup of the vm before testing it. Really!

Thanks for helping to get this fixed!

Your vbox@ Team (beat, decke, dhn, miwi, nox)

--
Bernhard Fröhlich