Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 22:10:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        mgraffam@mhv.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.8.0

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Studded wrote:

> mgraffam@mhv.net wrote:
>
> > I agree that limited access to the C compiler helps improve the security
> > of the system, but you must remember that you are using PC's with a
> > free OS.
>
> 	You make a lot of good points, none of which I'm disputing. However I
> am firmly of the opinion however that part of security is making things
> as difficult as possible for the boneheads. Obviously there's a lot more
> to it than deleting gcc. :)

But most of the boneheads don't really want to compile stuff themselves.
I honestly think that security through such obscurity isn't too great.
However, one could always try hacking up a shell,etc, etc. that only let a
user run certian programs.  However, then there's still programs that let
you run other programs, etc, etc..

- alex

A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.