Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 11:00:32 -1000 (HST)
From:      "David Langford" <langfod@dihelix.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        klink@seti.tec.sd.us, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Increasing Users

>> Anyone
>> 	Hello, This is Ryan from Southeast Technical Institute in Sioux
>> Falls, SD.  I recently installed FreeBSD 2.1.7.  What I need to do is
>> increase the number of simultaneous users from the default 16 to 25.
>> However, I am have a hard time finding the kernal file to increase it.
>> Can anyone help me on this problem?  Also, is it possible to change the
>> boot menu options and is it possible to select another operating system
>> without rebooting?
>
>You can have as many users logged in as the system will fit.  You may need
>to increase some system buffers if you start having problems. THe
>previously mentioned 'maxusers' item may help, although this is a gauge
>and not an absolute value.
>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
>http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

I could also be wrong but it sound to me like a pty issue here.
To increase those you need to change the pty line to "psuedo-device pty 64".
Also you will need to go into /dev and run ./MAKEDEV pty1

This will let you have up to 64 people logged in or multiple xterm windows etc.

Hope this helps too :)

-David Langford
 langfod@dihelix.com