Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2000 23:12:49 -0600
From:      Andrew Fleming <f236@scatcat.fhsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Alias 2 IPs on same network

I am trying to set up two IP address on the same interface.  The
addresses are x.x.x.1, and x.x.x.2 .  I have no problem setting up the
aliase, however I can not ping x.x.x.2 from the machine.  From outside
the machine the seconds address is fine.

Now what I have seen is posts is that since the second address is in
the same network, I will have to use a netmask of 0xffffffff.  This
works, however if I simple add a route to the second address using
route add x.x.x.2 127.0.0.1 it works fine also.

So which way is better.  It seems like using 0xffffffff would cause
traffic from the x.x.x.2 to be sent to the router, even if it does not
need to.  Leaving the netmask set right, and adding a route to x.x.x.2
seems like it would be better.

Does anyone have any comments on which way is better, why, and if
there will be any problems with one or the other.

Andrew Fleming
f236@scatcat.fhsu.edu