Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 00:16:23 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Floppy Tape Driver.....

I have an Exabyte Eagle TR-3 drive, and I had a look at the floppy
tape situation a while back.  The driver is.. well.. inadequate.  It
makes a lot of assumptions that are quite a few years incorrect.  But
they're probably still needed if someone has those old drives.  New
drives come in all sorts of configurations and can be queried for the
correct parameters, among other differences.  Also, it's weirdly split
into kernel and user-level parts, and makes no attempt whatsoever to
pretend to be a "proper" Unix tape.

I was going to fix all of this a while back, and I still have the pile
of documentation on how floppy tape works.  I think I planned to write
a standard QIC header at the beginning of the tape and fake up
SCSI-like behavior (end of file marks, etc.).  Hackers have bizzare
motivations sometimes, and my motivation for this project was to back
up my machine so I could install it anew.  Unfortunately, it's now
been so long that I really have to reinstall _before_ I'd want to
start on such a thing.  And I'm not sure I care anymore.  I certainly
don't have the free time for some time to come.
--
Christopher Masto        Director of Operations      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

    "Good tools allow users to do stupid things." -- Clay Shirky