Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2000 23:37:33 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP- WF2Q and RED now available in -current

> On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Peter Wemm wrote:
> >Thierry Herbelot wrote:

> >> Random Early Discard : if the channel has not enough bandwidth, just
> >> throw away some frames (randomly)
> >
> >More to the point, it takes advantage of TCP backoff to slow down all the
> >TCP sessions so that you don't quite get to the point of hitting the 100%
> >limit and losing a large chunk of in-flight data.  If you drop a few packets
> >earlier you can "shape" the tcp connection(s) so that they don't hit the
> >wall hard.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >-Peter
>
> This sounds like _exactly_ what I need for my link :)  Anyone have any
> information on how to set that up?  It might just be enough reason to
> upgrade my firewall ;>

Luigi's description started this thread :-)  Briefly:

: In order to test WFQ you can try the following:
:
: 	ipfw add 100 queue 10 icmp from any to any out
: 	ipfw add 200 queue 11 ip from any to any out
:
: 	ipfw queue 10 config weight 1 pipe 2
: 	ipfw queue 11 config weight 10 pipe 2 mask all
:
: 	ipfw pipe 2 config bw 200Kbit/s
:
: and then see how a ping -f to the outside will not disturb
: other IP traffic, while still being able to use the full bandwidth
: configured for the pipe.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>