Date:      Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:24:25 -0600
From:      Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   What packages can I deinstall?

I've got a bunch of packages installed on my machine and I'd like to
know if I can deinstall any of them.  I know what a lot of them do,
and know what will happen if I deinstall them.  Others, I'm not really
sure.  For example I've got a package named cclient
(http://www.freshports.org/mail/cclient/) installed.  If I run
pkg_deinstall -n cclient, it says that it'd be removed without any
problems.  So evidently no other package is depending on
this...perhaps it's just an artifact from a package I installed a
while back but deinstalled?

Basically I'd like to clear out any unused packages.  Is it safe to
just run on pkg_deinstall -n on any package I don't recognize, and if
it isn't required as a dependency for another package go ahead and
delete it?

Thanks,
Pat