Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 20:45:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Nick Evans <nevans@nextvenue.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-isp@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Teaming Network Interfaces

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Nick Evans wrote:

> Does anyone know of a project or other plans to implement teaming of network
> interfaces in FreeBSD? Something that will allow two or more NICs share the
> "same" IP Address, MAC address, etc. for network fault tolerance purposes? I
> found nothing in the archives and it's pretty disconcerting that no one is
> spending any time on fault tolerance for a network operating system.

  First of all, there is no reason to CC a question to three lists.  That
is just a big waste of bandwidth.

  If fault tolerance of network interfaces and links is your big concern,
there are already ways of doing that.  Simply use a new alias IP bound to
lo0 and then advertise that via a routing protocol to your router or
routers.  If an interface dies, routing updates can't be made from it, so
the border router(s) won't send traffic through it anymore.  This is easy
to do, I just never found it worthwhile since NICs might very well the
most reliable component you can buy these days (at least for Intel
Pro100+s anyway).  I've never had a NIC fail in a server yet.

  Many people are interested in load-balancing traffic over multiple
interfaces.  There is an equal-cost routing patch that can add this.

Tom