Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:06:07 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
Cc:        Roger <rnodal@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote re-installation of current FreeBSD system.

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:50:03 +0200, Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr> wrote:
> It seems however that some dedicated servers are setup using a single
> slice and a single partition, i.e. having /usr /var and /tmp as
> subdirectories in / instead of separate filesystems.

Well, that's no problem per se, and it saves some "partition
out of space" trouble when using UFS partitioning. You don't
have this with ZFS. :-)

Anyway, FreeBSD should keep all its partitions within one
slice, or do I fail to see some hidden advantage of distributing
the system into several slices?

> If the OP cares to share his /etc/fstab, it will become obvious if this
> is the case.

That would answer this question.

> If there are already separate partitions inside the slice, I'd agree
> there is no compelling reason to move to a multiple slice system.

An idea would be, for example, to remove the /usr partition and
create two new partitions, one for /usr and one for /usr/local,
which would move out /usr/local contents from the partition
holding /usr - which I think is what the OP originally intended.
This could be done relatively easily (in regards of SSH for the
command connection).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany