Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 21:09:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        shadows@whitefang.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk problems.

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996 shadows@whitefang.com wrote:

> Here's my current problem. I have my FreeBSD system install on /dev/wd1s2
> (IDE) and its fine and dandy. Now I want to create a partition on
> /dev/wd2s1 to support an additional filesystems for backuping some logs
> etc.

OK.  We'll keep that in mind.  I assume you don't want to make this new
disk bootable and thus make the whole disk for FreeBSD.

> I went by the book, I believe in the faq it says do it the easy way and
> use the /stand/sysinstall I did that After creating a partition I tried
> disklabel. Forgive the spam but..
>
> # /dev/wd2:
> type: unknown
> disk:
> label:
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 63
> tracks/cylinder: 16
> sectors/cylinder: 1008
> cylinders: 3158
> sectors/unit: 3183264
> rpm: 0
> interleave: 0
> trackskew: 0
> cylinderskew: 0
> headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
> track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
> drivedata: 0
>
> 3 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c:  3183264        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
> 3157)
> Warning, revolutions/minute 0
> boot block size 0
> super block size 0
>
> Forgive my ignorance but this doesnt look right now does it ;)

Actually, it somewhat does, you're on the right track.

You should use the following command(s) to generate a proper disklabel.

disklabel -Brw /dev/rwd2s1 auto
disklabel -e sd1

You should be dropped into vi.  Make a 'a' partition in the same format as
the 'c' partition; remember the numbers have to add up.  Save and quit,
and that'll become your disklabel.

> Oh and check this disklabel doesnt like my working HDD
> broken: {34} disklabel /dev/wd1
> disklabel: /dev/wd1: Device not configured

You have to use the raw device /dev/rwd1.

I have a long message that describes the procedure in excruciating detail
(including fdisk)
and another that is short for non-DOS-system 'dangerously dedicated'
disks.