Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 23:54:01 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Andreas Ntaflos <ant@overclockers.at>
Cc:        Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Saving a partially rotten IBM DTLA-307030 Harddisk

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 12:37:14AM +0100, Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 03:11:56PM -0600, Dave Uhring wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 January 2003 02:50 pm, Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
> > > Hello list (sorry for crossposting, hope I am doing the right thing),
> > >
> > >   I've got the following problem which I hope someone could help me
> > > with: One of my boxes running FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE has an IBM
> > > DTLA-307030 (30GB) which worked very well for more than 2 years now,
> > > but I think it starts rotting away according the following:
> >
> > Download the dft utility from IBM.
> >
> >   http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm
> >
> > When you get the failure code e-mail IBM and get the drive replaced if
> > it is less than 3 years old.
>
> Wow, that worked like a charm, the Disk Fitness Test was able to repair the
> bad sectors without any major problems. Really good.
>
> Thanks a lot for that!

I wouldn't trust that disk too far anymore, whatever DFT says.  I had an
IBM drive (might even have been the same model) fail in much the same
way... DFT brought it back to life, but it just died again a few weeks
later, and that time there was no saving it.  Now they go back to IBM as
soon as they start complaining.  Thank goodness for three year warrenties!

If nothing else, make sure your backups are working :-)

	Scott