Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 16:43:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Brian King <BKing@symantec.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD questions

On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Brian King wrote:

>      I've been using Linux for some time now, and have just recently
>      install WGS Linux Pro 4.0, which is based on RedHat 3.0.3.  I'm very
>      impressed with the RedHat Package Management System.  FreeBSD appears
>      to support LBA mode hard drives now, which was a hinderence for me in
>      the past.  This brings me to two questions:
>
>      1. Does FreeBSD, v2.1.5 or v2.2-SNAPSHOT, support LBA mode?

Why would you need such a mode?  The only thing it's good for is sector
translation for booting; once it's done that then FreeBSD has no need for
any sector translation since it talks directly with the controller.  I
have my disks on LBA mode and they work fine on my P90 w/o any special
support from FreeBSD.

>      2. Do you have plans on implementing some kind of package management
>      system, such as RedHat, Debian, or a proprietary system?

What's wrong with the pkg_add system?