Date:      Mon, 9 Jan 1995 06:43:39 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        "Ugen J.S.Antsilevich" <ugen@netvision.net.il>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot make world -- errors in tree

>>We need to redo the entire Makefile structure so that we can cross-compile
>>without destroying the host envoirnment.
>Waah..why the entire? I think includes are the only problemm and to deal
>with it we need global Include and global Lib paths set up for make world.
>That's it...If we add those everything else should go fine.

Sorry... Perhaps my use of the word "entire" was too harsh.
I agree that the "includes" are the primary problem, but while we are at
it, we should allow for things such as alternate compilers, etc.

Thus, for example, the problem that someone else was having with a changed
"config" would have been automatically addressed because the newer "config"
becomes a transition tool.

Ideally, I would like to be able to specify a system and the location of a
file system root and have a bootable system built there. I would also like
to see "make" work without the "make world" sequence. IOW, I just installed
some changed files in the tree. Executing "make" at the top level should
rebuild everything necessary.