Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 20:48:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        kd5ob@theshop.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The low priority items

> I'm a little slow.  Did I read correctly that Threaded processes are
> not supported?  And the next line down from that mentioned something
> of the same, however, can I assume it is to deal with multiprocessor
> CPU boards as well?

Threaded processes are not "supported" yet, but code exists in the
-current FreeBSD kernel.  I am one of the people creating that support.
We do have a pthread(s) library, but that doesn't take advantage of
SMP (yet.)

> channel scsi cards and all that.
>
> I was always told of UNIX's unique ability to run multiple processor
> systems.  I never imagined that this system would have a problem with
> threading.  I was hoping that the multiple processor issue would
> have a higher priority than it does.

There aren't any problems.  Different OSes have different advantages
and disadvantages.  For example, you can create an entirely new process on
FreeBSD in a few hundred microseconds.  A kernel-based thread can be created
in several ten's of microseconds.  Creating new processes on NT (or
many commercial versions of U**X) is/are much much slower.

The multiple processor support is a pretty much fully funded effort, and
user-land code (like compiles) already sees a significant performance
improvement on SMP machines, when running the -current kernel.  When
we "support" an SMP release, it will be very very good.  I am also working
on the SMP team.

John