Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 00:59:23 -0800
From:      Alex Teslik <alex@acatysmoof.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   bktr - video4linux - RealProducer - dead horse?

Hello,

     I have been hoping desperately to use FreeBSD to do some realtime encoding
and streaming with an Osprey100 which uses the bktr Brooktree driver.
     Currently I am using camserv, which although is a great app, leaves some-
thing to be desired by the IE users (which I kind of enjoy, but the client does
not) because IE does not stream multi-part jpegs.
     Anyway, I installed Real Producer and have run into the video4linux problem
that seems to surface from time to time on this list. Unfortunately I can't find
any resolution to this issue here. Is V4L on *BSD a dead horse? Does anyone have
any better ideas on encoding and streaming on FBSD that uses any modern codecs?
Does anyone have bktr device code that works with V4L? I mknod'ed video, but
RealProducer wasn't fooled. I need some guidance. I REALLY don't want to have to
switch to Linux - I love BSD but need to service the masses of windoze users.
     Damn. I need to learn C++ and solve these problems myself...

Alex