Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:30:37 -0500
From:      "Theresa L. Ford" <t@cattail.nu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hard Drive Diagnostics

What commands/utilities are needed for exploring, defining, and
recovering data on a failing hard drive?  What should I look for in
which log file?

I had a dual boot Redhat Linux/Windows 2000 setup with two hard drives,
variously partitioned with ext3fs, fat32, and possibly ntfs.

After determining that the increasingly frequent locking/rebooting
problem was likely one of the drives, we disconnected those and
purchased a new drive and installed FreeBSD (translate FreeBSD newbie).
There were no issues beyond typical newbie trying to install FreeBSD.

I have done all the upgrades/cvsup.
FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #0: Mon Dec 15 18:11:37 EST 2003

The two drives:
80 Gb Maxtor D740X-6L
Western Digital 120 Gb.

I saw in the archive that this could be a cable problem, but the BSD
drive has now operated successfully on both cables (more general
troubleshooting).  What tools do I need to research?  What should I look
for in my logs?

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

- Theresa