Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 1996 13:29:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Dyson <dyson@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        rwm@MPGN.COM (Rob Miracle)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SYSV Shared Memory Question

> We need a boat load of SYSV shared memory and we get a Kernel panic when we
> try to request it.  Here are the specifics:
>
> On our FreeBSD 2.x.x (we have tried 2.1.0, 2.1.5, and 2.2.snap (most recent))
> when we set SHMMAXPGS to 22000 and SHMALL to something over 30000, we get a
> kernel panic in kmem_suballoc of type 3.

The problem is fixable, but...

> My questions are:
>
> Is there a limit to the amount of SYSV shared memory in FreeBSD(any version)?
> What are the real meanings of SHMMAXPGS, SHMALL, SHMMAX, and other shared memory
> options?

Unfortunately, the code allocates Kernel Virtual space for the shared
region.  That is TOTALLY unnecessary, but that is how it was implemented.  I
can probably fix it, but I was planning on a total rewrite.  Of course,
a rewrite would be in a longer timeframe than you are interested in.

> We really want to move away from our DecStations and move to PCs but this is
> a big sticky issue.

I will try to see if there is a work-around that I can create.  The code
is calling for a rewrite though.  (Even though FreeBSD has LOTS of Kernel
virtual space: a little less than 256Mbytes, the code still wastes it
unnecessarily.)

I will try to see what I can do this weekend -- I have some ideas.  I don't
have any SV shared mem test tools, so if I get anything implemented -- you'll
have to test it :-)!!!

John
dyson@freebsd.org