Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 22:49:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Gary <medmanks@mindspring.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Basic stuff

Gary <medmanks@mindspring.com> types:
> Hello all,

Hello Gary,

Most of this stuff is in the hadnbook. You really need to read through
that, but i'll give you short answers.

> Questions, can I use many of my Linux based rpms in BSD?  I guess you
> folks call them porting, or some such.

You can run many rpm's under Linux compatibility mode, but it's
preferable to run native code if you can. Packages are the FreeBSD
equivalent of rpm's. Ports are *much* more flexible, and are used to
build packages.

> Also, is there support for WinTV (bttv) in the GUI.

The GUI is the same as Linux - XFree86 and associated window and
desktop managers.  There are applications for a number of TV cards in
the ports. Fxtv supports the Brooktree cards.

> I guess, I am trying to get a handle on
> FreeBSD, other than using it for an excellent web server, but rather
> more in the scope of everyday business use with WordPerfect,
> StarOffice, maybe MySQL, a mail and fax server, using a NIC card to
> network to a couple other computers, NFS, etc. I don't know if you
> have an something similar to SAMBA, or is it SAMBA?

Everything you just named is in the ports. WordPerfect and StarOffice
run under Linux compatibility, and the OpenOffice port (what they're
calling the open source version of StarOffice) is being worked on so
you'll have that native. Personally, I prefer Applixware Office as an
office suite, and that's available native.

	<mike
--
Mike Meyer					http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for rates.