Date:      Fri, 21 May 2010 23:32:12 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Playing Ogg Vorbis files with Audacious

--DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 01:46:16PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	i hope i'm not stealing this thread but here goes.
>=20
> 	i can no longer get my freebsd to play my cd's.
> 	audio-cd.  k3b does regonize it in my second optical.  i am
> 	trying to transfer it from cd to ~/Music.  [[and no, i didn't
> 	steal this disc.  i own tape and cd and just want to transfer
> 	it in Ogg-Vorbis fmt and listen to it here where i live for
> 	17hrs/day.
>=20
> 	i've tried to play it with kmplayer, with amaroK.  zip.  i've
> 	tried sound-juice and get the fatal error that there are no=20
> 	CD-ROM drives.  a few releases ago i used sound-juicer to
> 	transfer [and play] tunes.  no mo'.
>=20
> 	roland, some weeks ago i remember you mentions that your
> 	/etc/devfd.conf needed tweaking.  i'm wondering if it might
> 	be this.  meanwhile, i'll play around with audacious* and see
> 	if i get any further clues.

For one thing, your user-id, or a group you belong to needs to have read/wr=
ite
access to the relevant CD device. My solution is to create a group called
'cdrom', and add my user-id to that group. Both is accomplished with pw(8).=
have the following in my /etc/devfs.conf:

    # Give members of group cdrom access to the CD/DVD-ROM and DVD+RW via t=
he
    # SCSI interface
    own		xpt0	root:cdrom
    perm	xpt0	0660
    own		cd0	root:cdrom
    perm	cd0	0660
    own		cd1	root:cdrom
    perm	cd1	0660
    link		cd1	cdrom
    link		cd1	dvd

Since my user-id is a member of the cdrom group, I can use these devices
freely.=20

If you are using the standard 'atapicd' driver instead of the SCSI emulation
'cd' driver your CD device might be acdX instead of cdX. I prefer to use the
SCSI emulation, since cdrecord (which is required by k3b, I think) likes
talking to SCSI devices, but not ATA. I've built a custom kernel that only =
has
the cd device and not atapicd, so there cannot be a conflict between the
two. I don't know what happens on a GENERIC kernel that has both
devices. Maybe there is a tunable that determines which device driver gets
access?

To produce sound you need to to load the appropriate sound driver. See
sound(4). Additionally, I like to start a sound server like esd (audio/esou=
nd
port). Audacious can use that for output.

Roland
--=20

--DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M

--DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M--