Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 17:18:56 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <chaos@mail.tgci.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   wd0/sd0 can't boot from scsi drive

Just installed 2.2.2-release on the only scsi drive in my
system--disabled the ide controller in cmos from previous experience.

Anyway, install goes ok, boots ok.  Enabled the ide drive, which has
2.1.7 on it.  Gets the boot prompt F1 -DOS, F2-2.1.7 and F5 2nd DISK.

Press F5 and get "F?".  I've seen this before, and done the fixes
recommended by assuming this is a geometry problem.  It doesn't seem
to be.

Used booteasy 2 beta (8?).  No help.

When F2 is pressed (ide drive 2.1.7) at the boot prompt I type in
sd(0,a)/kernel and it boots wd(0,a)/kernel with no errors.  That is
it *seems* to take the arguement "sd(0,a)" but runs wd(0,a) and it
ends up running 2.1.7, not 2.2.2-R.

This isn't a show stopper, but I'm curious and I'd *really* like to boot the
scsi disk with the ide disk in the system.  Is there a reason I can't?

os-bs (osbs20b8.exe) locks up when run on the dos partition on the
ide disk.  Booteasy seems to configure ok, but craps out under
pressure!  :)

tia,

Riley