Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 2010 14:38:54 +0100
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: postfix installed in base, mailwrapper spins using 100% CPU

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 10:40:22AM +0100, Bruce Cran wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed a new server recently with postfix. I first rebuilt world using
> WITH_SENDMAIL=no and removed the sendmail files using 'make delete-old'. I
> installed postfix in /usr but now mailwrapper doesn't work - it runs using
> 100% CPU and never quits. I suspect it might be stuck in a loop trying to run
> the sendmail binary and being redirected back to itself. So
> /etc/mail/mailer.conf contains:
>
> sendmail        /usr/sbin/sendmail
> send-mail       /usr/sbin/sendmail
> mailq           /usr/sbin/sendmail
> newaliases      /usr/sbin/sendmail
>
> and /usr/sbin/sendmail is:
>
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  21 Oct  2 09:50 /usr/sbin/sendmail ->
> /usr/sbin/mailwrapper
>
> Should it actually be the sendmail binary that postfix installs, and if so I'm
> wondering how it could have ended up being a symlink?

You should use src.conf(5) and set WITHOUT_SENDMAIL=yes to avoid
building sendmail nowadays.

Postfix normally (when installed from ports) installs a "fake"
sendmail binary in /usr/local/bin. So mailer.conf should contain the
following:

#
# Execute the Postfix sendmail program, named /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
#
sendmail	/usr/local/sbin/sendmail
send-mail	/usr/local/sbin/sendmail
mailq		/usr/local/sbin/sendmail