Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2013 10:42:48 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
To:        andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
Subject:   Re: State of pkgng?

On 2013-02-20 19:08, andrew clarke wrote:
> On Wed 2013-02-20 17:45:52 UTC-0800, Darren Pilgrim (list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com) wrote:
>
>> Reading the pkgng page on the wiki:
>>
>> "As a consequence of the security incident on 11th November 2012, for
>> the time being pre-compiled packages for pkgng are not available from
>> any official FreeBSD repository. [...] Target dates for when service may
>> be resumed have not been released."
>>
>> Is that still the case?  Is pkgng presently a non-starter?
>
> Just to be clear, pkgng is not broken. You can still use it with the
> Ports tree or use it to install locally-built packages.

I wasn't clear on that point. Thanks.

No, pkgng integrates perfectly with Ports.  I have WITH_PKGNG=yes on
almost all of my systems.  I was following up about the package repo,
which is still empty.  I do like the speed increase of pkg-version over
pkg_version.

What can the lowly sysadmin do to speed up getting the pkgng package repo?