Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 13:33:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Martin Von_Schantz <ikaros_net@hotmail.com>
Cc:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows managers

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Martin Von_Schantz wrote:

> Hello, I have been recommended the KDE desktop environment by some
> 'Linux users' :)  it doesn't seem that BSD friendly unfourtunately so I
> wondered if anyone had a better windows manager to recommend.

Well, the Betas may be a bit FreeBSD unfriendly, however the port should
build.  Me, I cvsup kde sources every other day or so, and attempt to
rebuild it in its entirety.  So far everything from the latest sources
compiles under -current with the exception of:

kppp
kscd
ksysv
kuser
kcalc

I've contacted the authors of ksysv and kuser and both are going to commit
the diffs I've sent them when they get a chance (although the changes are
VERY minor).  The author of kppp and kscd seems to think that if his
programs are flakey or fail to compile on other OSes that it's not his
problem, so don't expect fixes for these very soon.  So far, kcalc was
very recently changed to use functions that are seemingly Linux specific.
I'm not sure if/when this will be fixed.  Apart from this, kwmsound needs
to be compiled w/ -lcompat (should be fixed soonish).

I would highly recommend KDE to anyone looking for a very functional and
nice looking (not flashy) desktop.  Although many (not all) of the
developers use Linux a primary platform, I've found them to be generally
most receptive to people who are willing to fix things up for other OSes
(if you're using gcc/egcs these changes should be easy to do).  Although,
I'm quite biased (for Qt), I think anyone looking to do some freeware X11
programming would do well by looking into writing KDE compliant or at
least Qt apps.

- alex who is now maintaing kIRC, one of the KDE irc apps

"We are upping our standards ... so up yours."
  - Pat Paulsen for US of A Prez, 1988.