Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 1997 20:44:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
Cc:        pst@shockwave.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, karp@dominator.eecs.harvard.edu
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Metricom driver: I wrote one in September...

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Brad Karp wrote:
> My driver is written over the IP tunnel (tun), and is completely portable
> (no #ifdefs, even) between FreeBSD and NetBSD (I use it on both systems). It
> does neighbor discovery, dynamically handles IP-to-MAC mapping for the radios
> (with no centralized ARP server, despite the non-broadcast nature of Metricom's
> radios), and works very well, overall.

I'd be curious to hear how your IP-MAC mapping works.  Is it some sort of
stochastic token passing between neighbors?  To what size networks can it
scale?

Some obscure questions, since you've seriously worked with the metricom
hardware: how intrinsically doppler tolerant is the communications
waveform?  What modulation scheme?  What chip rate?

Charles Mott