Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:43:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        marcel@scc.nl (Marcel Moolenaar)
Cc:        isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: D-channel communications

>From the keyboard of Marcel Moolenaar:

> Are there any plans to implement communications over the D-channel?

No.

> Are people interested in such an implementation?

I'm not interested, but it would be an interesting project ;-)

Anyway: which sort of communications ? If its just communications, we are
already doing that :-)

Basically i can think of 3 sorts of communications over the D-channel:
X.31, UUS (User-to-user signalling) and nonstandard communications.

X.31 will be alot of work, subscribing to it is _very_ expensive here
in Germany and what you gain from using it is 16kbit/sec instead of
64kbit/sec which you have over the B-channel. IMHO its not worth to
implement it.

UUS: subscribing to it is relatively expensive, the remote side has to
subscribe to it too to make it useful and it gives you IIRC 32 bytes
messages over the D-channel. I dont see any usefulness in that to work
on it ....

Nonstandard: Because you are not charged anything here for a call setup
unless the call is not taken at the other end, i can think of many many
ways to transmit information for no charge over the D-channel.
But - trying to setup a call on the D-channel reserves a B-channel for
a potential communication in the exchange and therefore it is highly
illegal to use this kind of "communication" because resources are reserved
which are not going to be used. That type of "communication" will not
go into i4b.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77