Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 1996 21:03:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Andrew Herdman <andrew@why.whine.com>
Cc:        SysAdmin <flaq@synwork.com>, Mark Mayo <mark@hi-fi.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Java,Netscape, & AccelX

On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Andrew Herdman wrote:

> I used to run AccelX but gave up on it.  When i switched back to XFree
> Java started to work again.  This is with Netscape 3.0
>
> Andrew

Hmm, I think I know one possible cause of this problem.  I used to have
the same problem getting Java to work in Netscape (blank space for
applets), this time I installed Netscape from the port (instead of
manually) and received the following message:

Note: If Java applets fail to display.  Type this as root:
                cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
                /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir
                chmod 444 fonts.dir
      And then exit and restart your X server.

I tried that, and lo and behold, it worked!  It seems that Netscape needs
particular font aliases that for some reason XFree86 didn't define
properly.  Mkfontdir fixed the problem for XFree86, perhaps it can help
Accelerated-X?

-- Jake