Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 18:25:38 -0400
From:      "Richard Cramer " <r.cramer@sytex.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Does the SMC 8216 and 8416 work with 4.x-Stable?

Hello to the List,

I have been off the list for the past 3 months, so I may have missed
a message concerning this subject.  I have had no joy trying to
incorporate the subject NIC cards with 4.1 - Stable.  I know they
worked in the 2.x versions.

So you  do not have to ask, yes, the IRQ was changed from 5 to
now use 10 as is  depicted in "GENERIC". IO address is 280 and
RAM address is d8000.  Of course these are ISA cards.

I have also tried 8013 and it fails as well.

Now what do I mean by "does not work" and "fails".  In all cases
the NIC was probed correctly.  The vty2 terminal show either
"timeout" by ed0 or shutdown of the interface.

Any suggestions or pointers would be helpful as I have not found
any information in the archives.

Thanks all,
Dick  r.cramer@sytex.net
N4YDP/NNN0BVX VA