Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 21:33:49 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jim Pirzyk <pirzyk@faf.disney.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rsh/rlogin/rcp/rdist problems

>I have been having this problem for a while now and I cannot seem to solve it.
>When I rsh/rlogin, I am getting wierd error messages, not the ones related
>to not having a .rhosts file or anything like that.  Here they are:
>
>pirzyk@amigo:~/src/startup
>17>rlogin snoopy
>rlogind: Permission denied.

   Check the permissions on the .rhosts file and make sure that it is only
writable by the owner, and that the uid is the user it belongs to. rlogin
and friends won't use the .rhosts file if any of these things is suspicious.
Also, do you have anything showing up in /var/log/messages? Specifically,
something line "Connection from <host> on illegal port"?

-DG

David Greenman