Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:00:19 +0200
From:      Dmitry Karasik <dk@plab.ku.dk>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compile in a.out

> "Mark" (Mark Ovens) wrote:
> >
> > looks like I don't have some support files for successful -aout compile;
> > I found no information related to this; found only
> > /usr/src/lib/csu/i386/c++rt0.c. I tried 'make' there, ( as a blind guess),
> > which failed with loud yells:
> >

> This is why I said "I *think* you need to use -aout" :) I tried it
> myself before replying and got the same error. Checking it out I fond
> that my /usr/lib/aout is empty. This is where the aout object files
> should be.

Hi Mark!

So, if you can't compile the thing in aout, there is a question:
is FreeBSD supports aout development _at all_? There's no documentation and no examples;
I found the object files on the neighbour machine and I succeed compiling my .so file,
but it's not working - and I don't know, whether it's because the linker options were set wrong or
because of any other reason? I couldn't find anything related to aout options and considerations.
And, my point of view is, if even freebsd _can_ compile in aout, what does it worth if one can't figure out
how?

Sincerely,
Dmitry