Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:22:43 +0100
From:      Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   denyhosts problems

I'm trying to get denyhosts-2.5 to work in 6.0 and have inserted a line in
hosts.allow

ALL: xxx.myoffice.com : allow
sshd: /etc/hosts.deniedssh : deny
ALL: ALL : allow

but am finding that this causes my home ip to be denied even though I log in
with a pre-shared key.

The /etc/hosts.deniedssh file is being created, but my home ip is not present
(it would be hard as I have a dynamically allocated one anyhow).

The hosts.deniedssh file contains entries like

ALL: 61.219.xx.250 : deny
ALL: 209.8.xx.242 : deny

I am getting an error in the auth log related to the denial that looks like this
/etc/hosts.allow, line 24: can't verify hostname: getaddrinfo(xxx-yyy-......,
AF_INET)

where /etc/hosts.allow line24 corresponds to the

sshd: /etc/hosts.deniedssh : deny

line in hosts.allow.

I have the same setup in 6.1 and it seems to work. But I still see messages
related to line 24 from that setup. Does denyhosts work properly?
--
Robin Becker