Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:12:02 GMT
From:      Salvo <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        err@intergrafix.net
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the word demon

What is the defference between the word demon and the word devil?
please help me to deffine each.
e-mail err@intergrafix.net

Dear "Eltgad",

The matter is a bit complicated. Actually, the Oxford Dictionary (J.
Pearsall 1998) records three terms "demon" and two terms "daemon"
which, furthermore, are semantically/orthographically related to one
another, with one remarkable exception -- see below.

Let us begin by considering the most important "demon" ("demon1"). The
word has two main (or "core") meanings:

1) an evil spirit or devil, especially one thought to possess a person
or act as a tormentor in hell (Oxford Dictionary, Pearsall 1998);

From this "core" (ie central, most literal) meaning, other "subsenses"
derive, e.g. by extension||shift||specialization: "a cruel, evil,
or destructive person or thing; a forceful, fierce, or skilful
performer of a specified activity(a demon cook; a demon for work),
etc.; all of those meanings are described in the aforementioned
Dictionary.

2)it is another term for "daemon1" (in sense 1).

The word comes from Greek "daimon" (deity, genius) --> Latin (and
medieval
Latin) daemon  --> Middle English; there was also a Latin variant
daemonium (in sense 1: "lesser or evil spirit") actually deriving from
the
diminutive of "daimon".

"Demon2" (chiefly Austral./NZ) bears no relation to our discussion;
"demon3" is really a variant spelling of "daemon2"

Now let us consider the words daemon1,2.

"Daemon1" (also "daimon"), (core) sense 1 : (in ancient Greek belief)
a divinity or supernatural being of a nature between gods and humans;
subsense 1: an inner or attendant spirit or inspiring force.
Sense 2: archaic spelling of demon1 :-)

Please note: the variant "daimon" is identical to the Greek original
spelling.

Origin of "daemon1": mid 16th century: common spelling of "demon1"
until the 19th century.

"Daemon2" (also "demon") (Computing): a background process that
handles requests for services [ quibusdam omissis ].

The Oxford definition of the technical meaning is not interesting
(IMO); I prefer Grog's treatment (cf The Complete FreeBSD) :-))

The origin of this "daemon2", according to the Oxford Dictionary, is
not certain. Maybe it comes from d(isk) a(nd) e(xecution) mon(itor),
or from de(vice) mon(itor); or from a transferred use of demon1.

I am more inclined to think of the last etymological hypothesis --
which, incidentally, is much nicer, too ;-))

Finally, let us take "devil" into account.

Some meanings simply overlap with those of "demon" -- just to add to
the confusion.

"Devil" sense 1 ("the Devil", capital letter): (in Christian and
Jewish belief) the supreme spirit of evil; Satan.

A number of subsenses stem from here: e.g. "an evil spirit", " a
demon"; a very wicked or cruel person, etc.

The other meanings, essentially, are not relevant to our case.

One final etymological remark.
It may be thought-provoking to note that "devil" comes ultimately from
Greek "dia(~across)+ballo(~I throw)" (ballo, aor. ebalon) whereas
"symbol" comes from Greek "syn(~with)+ballo" ...

HTH,
Salvo