Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 18:17:39 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        langfod@dihelix.com (David Langford)
Cc:        michaelh@cet.co.jp, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au, terry@lambert.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login.conf - radius client (was Re: getty patches)

David Langford stands accused of saying:

> The question I've also had was with regards to sendmail.
> How does sendmail know that users exist if one uses RADIUS or some
> other "non-traditional" way of user authentication???

You've got to have local user accounts on the sendmail machine for
mail to be delivered.  The neatest answer I've seen yet is to have the
Radius daemon use the local password database on the same system that
sendmail runs on.

Any other technique is going to involved hacking either sendmail or
the pwd.h routines as with NIS.