Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 05:26:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org

Karel J. Bosschaart writes:
> Can someone tell me where in fact is the faulty behaviour? The use of
> non-required headers by the FreeBSD lists or the 'design' of Exchange?

The bug is in the Exchange server. It's a mail exchanger, which means
that according to RFC 1123 it "SHOULD NOT alter any existing header
fields". Whether the header is required - or even known - is
irrelevant; they shouldn't be touching it.

The reality is that your local support staff probably can't fix this,
as they don't have the sources to MS exchange. If they're honest,
they'll admit that it's a bug in their "supported" software, and they
can't do anything about it until there's a new version. From the sound
of things, they'll claim that the Exchange server isn't a mail
exchanger, so this clause doesn't apply to them. While that may be
true, it's clearly brain-damaged, and a good reason to *not* run MS
software.

Have you thought about running your own SMTP server? That's probably
easier than dealing with such behavior.

You might ask why they don't randomly drop the To: field, as it's a
non-required field according to RFC822, but that would be like pulling
the wings off flies.

	<mike