Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 15:23:45 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   DIAGNOSTICS and DEBUG LOGGING (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf options)

Eivind,

I'd like to see "sanity checks" (assertions) and diagnostic logging
separated.  DIAGNOSTICS turns on both, but I'd like to be able to run an
assertion checking kernel without all the logging.

Do you think that DIAGNOSTICS can be separated into these 2 categories
without upsetting too many people?

What does DEBUG do?  Can all sanity checks be moved to DEBUG?

This would give us more clearly defined debugging flags:

DIAGNOSTICS - Debug logging
DEBUG - Sanity checks
DDS - GDB callable debug functions.

Regards,

Mike Hancock

--
michaelh@cet.co.jp                                http://www.cet.co.jp
CET Inc., Daiichi Kasuya BLDG 8F, 2-5-12 Higashi Shinbashi, Minato-ku,