Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:13:49 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ian <no-spam@people.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named startup problems upgrading from 7.1p4 to 7.1p5 or 7.1p6

--------------enig3252513DCA99169A601B43E4

Ian wrote:
> Hi, I've been meaning to sort this out since the release of 7.1p5, but =
only=20
> just got around to it - I have an installation of 7.1 that runs bind an=
d has=20
> been working fine up until I tried to update the system to 7.1p5 (using=
=20
> freebsd-update). As soon as I apply the update & reboot, named loads bu=
t the=20
> startup script hangs.
>=20
> If I press Ctrl+C, the system continues to boot. If I then run /etc/rc.=
d/named=20
> start, named starts, but again the script hangs. I can do DNS lookups w=
hile=20
> named is running, so it seems to be functioning ok.
> I tried adding various echo statements to /etc/rc.d/named and found tha=
t the=20
> script seems to run right through. The hang occurs where /etc/rc.subr e=
choes=20
> out "Starting named" after the named script has run and that's where th=
ings=20
> seem to stop! Nothing else that is started by the rc.d scripts hangs, s=
o I'm=20
> guessing  /etc/rc.subr is ok.
>=20
> I did a diff of /etc/rc.d/named before & after the upgrade from p4 to p=
5 (or=20
> p6 which has the same issue) and there are no changes to the file.
> Nothing seems to be logged anywhere that shows a problem, so I really h=
ave no=20
> idea what to check next.
>=20
> The only named entry in rc.conf is named_enable=3D"YES". Doing a freebs=
d-update=20
> rollback restores normal operation and given that bind actually loads 7=
 seems=20
> to work apart fromthe hanging script, I suspect there's nothing wrong w=
ith my=20
> bind configuration.=20
>=20
> Any suggestions?

Are you sure it's not the thing which starts immediately *after* named th=
at is
hanging?  Try running:

   # rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*=20

and see what should come next.  Note this command shows the order in whic=
all of the rc scripts in those directories would run, not just the ones y=
ou have
enabled in rc.conf, so you may well have to skip a few lines until you ge=
t to
something that is enabled.

	Cheers,

	Matthew