Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:16:50 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>, "'Mike Squires'" <mikes@sir-alan.chem.indiana.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting Intel Pro100B to half duplex

>Also I'm curious about your statement about autonegotiate being
>notorious.  I've heard this stated frequently but never with any data
>to back it up.  After the above reply from Mr. Greenman I read up on
>autonegotiation in 3 different books on high-speed networking and have
>come to the _tentative_ conclusion that this rumor is based on old
>hardware.
>
>It seems that the 100 Mbps ethernet spec pre-dates the NWAY
>autonegotation spec and in fact there was a different method used for
>autonegotiation in the earliest days of 100 Mbps ethernet.  My guess is
>that this rumor was started during those early days and is still being
>dutifully passed on by those who experienced problems with the early
>non-NWAY equipment (and those who've heard the war stories from them).
>
>Can you (or anyone) state with any degree of certainty that any modern
>equipment built with NWAY autonegotiation exhibits any problems with
>autonegotiation?

   Most Cisco hardware gets it wrong, for whatever reason...at least when it
is talking with a Pro/100.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.