Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 21:12:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      Steve Jorgensen <steve@khoral.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   packet filtering from ppp

	I have a little 16 IP number net, that is connected
	to the internet via the user ppp on the gateway machine.
	I'm running on a FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE machine last cvsup'ed
	about a month ago.  Since I have real IP numbers, I'm
	NOT using the -nat options to ppp, but I would like to use
	the set filter syntax to protect myself from prying external
	programs (in fact, I've been getting probed on my samba port for
	the last couple of weeks from various external ip numbers)

	Anyway, I set up my rules based on instructions I found
	in the ppp tutorial at http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/x870.html,
	but I can't seem to get things to work right.  The example shown
	indicates that only the specified services will be allowed to
	operate through the tun device, and all other packets will be
	blocked.  However, when I run it, it either lets everything
	through or disallows any new external to internal connections
	to be started.  This behavior is based on the following lines

set filter in  6 permit 0/0 MYGATEWAYADDR/24
set filter out 6 permit MYGATEWAYADDR/24 0/0

	If I have these two lines set, it doesn't matter if I have any
	of the other lines in the tutorial, it allows all packets through.
	If I comment those two lines out, no new external connections
	can be established.  Any help is appreciated, and I can make
	my full set filter lines available if it's necessary.

						Steve

Steven Jorgensen      steve@khoral.com	 steve@spukhaus.com