Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 02:10:33 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        chorus@downeast.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fatal error message from installation cd

On Jan 10, 16:28, chorus@downeast.net wrote:
} Subject: fatal error message from installation cd
} I was able to install the FreeBSD 2.1 kernel, using the Walnut Creek
} cd-rom, on my pc successfully the first time. Due to various problems,I
} completely lost that installation. As far as I can tell the hardware is ok.
}       Now I am trying to re-install the kernel again, using the exact same
} hardware configurations as previous and I get the following message:
}
} ncr  0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
} ncr 0: aborting job...
} ncr 0:0 ERROR (90:0) (0-df-ff) (0/13) @ (418:43000060)
}       script command = 878b0000
}       reg: da 00 00 13 47 00 00 1f 31 00 00 df 90 01 08 0a
} ncr0: restart (fatal error)
} (ncr0:0:0): COMMAND FAILED (aff@f07cc948)
}
} I have tried the various boot floppies as provided on the cd-rom and get the
} same message.

Hmm, this is quite interesting ...

You managed to complete the installation
once, but now it fails reproducible ???

The error code indicates a command abort.
The command in question is a SELECT, and
the SCSI bus is all logical '1', except
for the BSY line.

This doesn't look right at all.

Did you switch off your computer and
disk drives between trys ?

Maybe the SCSI drive cable has been
disconnected and not been put back
correctly ?

Are there still the SDMS BIOS messages
indicating that drive was found ???

It really looks like some change in the
hardware causes this problem ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen          Tel:    +49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln        FAX:    +49 221 4705160