Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:39:10 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any reason not to remove /usr/obj/* ? (fwd)

On Tue, Aug 26, 1997 at 08:25:24AM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> Oh so recently I blathered:
>> In short: if you've got the disk space and are going to be rebuilding
>> the world, leave 'em.  If you need the disk space, grab it.  If you're
>> undecided, buy a Jaz drive and a cartrige for /usr/obj.  ;^)
>
> Greg Lehey elaborated thusly:
>> That depends on how you make your world.  Normally, the first thing
>> that 'make world' does is to remove all the objects and start afresh.
>> Check /usr/src/Makefile:
>
> Thanks for pointing this out; I realized I have several make environment
> variables I set in my root account that gives me the behavior I
> espoused.  Yes, indeed, the standard 'make world' target starts off with
> a 'make clean'.  In this case, and empty /usr/obj will probably speed up
> the make process somewhat.
>
> My environment variables automagically run make with -DNOCLEAN, which
> speeds up the make world somewhat, but can lead to catastrophic
> failures.  The remedy in this situation is to boot into single user,
> mount up your normal disks, and run a regular 'make world.'  Not
> something you'd want to do on a production machine, but this is my own
> workstation, right?

Indeed.  For those who are tracking -current, you may have run into
the same problem that has been driving me mad this past week: if I do
a 'make world' and remove the /usr/obj tree, the make runs fine.  If I
run my standard nightly build job, which does a -DNOCLEAN, it screws
up the file /usr/lib/libc.so.3.0, the standard dynamic C library.  The
result is that the system effectively hangs when the file is
installed.  The kernel's still running, but running processes die, and
you can't start any more.  I have a spare file in /usr/lib which I can
move into place, assuming that I can get a shell to run, but as Bill
says, that's not everybody's taste.

Greg