Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:53:50 +0200
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre@akademie3000.de>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@uol.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFC of ahc driver updates (long-ish)

On Sun, 24-Sep-2000 at 17:34:58 -0300, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> cd0 at ahc1 bus 0 target 3 lun 0
> >> cd0: <PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS 1.10> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> >> cd0: 3.300MB/s transfers
> >> cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present -
> >> tray closed
> >>
> >> It seems as if the Plextor CD-ROM is the culprit, and judging from
> >> the displayed transfer speed, it does seem to be failing to negotiate
> >> properly.  It should be negotiating at 20 MHz (which is where
> >> it was negotiated by the 4.1-RELEASE GENERIC kernel).
> >
> >You might want to know that there are firmware updates on
> >the plextor site for the PX-40TS. Sorry, don't have the
> >URL here...
>
> 	This is a dmesg snippet from my -stable system.

> ahc0: aic7870 Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
> [snip]
> cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
> cd0: <PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS 1.04> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> cd0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
> [snip]
>
> 	From your email, should I understand that I could
> be running my Plextor at 20Mhz? Are you sure this is
> accurate? By the way, I am running yesterday's stable
> and the latest plextor firmware.

[Took a while to answer but I am in the Dominican Republic at the moment]

The Plextor will run at 20MHz, IIRC, but not your controller. Do a "man ahc"
and search for 7870 two times. You will find it listed as a 10MHz controller.
I doubt you will find any device negotating at 20MHz on your machine :-)

Regarding the Plextor, I can tell you if it is running at 20MHz as soon
as I am back next week but I am 99% sure it does...

	-Andre