Date:      28 May 2002 20:07:18 +0100
From:      lewiz <purple@lewiz.info>
To:        parv <parv@pair.com>
Cc:        gjh292@263.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to Configure a HP Laserjet Printer to Use

This is a MIME-formatted message.  If you see this text it means that your
E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_dolphin.lewiz.org-17109-1022612841-0001-2

Guys,

  For all your printing needs you might look to apsfilter
(print/apsfilter).  It's a wonderful piece of software that uses, iirc
GIMP print, and is damn cool.  I have it working just great with an HP
LaserJer 5P and I have a feeling the 5L is better than the 5P.

-lewiz.

On Tue, 2002-05-28 at 19:58, parv wrote:
> in message <F60imaDotKRoO1oG0jO00009fd8@hotmail.com>, wrote Jianhong
> Gao thusly...
> >
> >  I've just configured a HP Laserjet 5L to my computer running
> >  Freebsd 4.2 ...  When I run "lptest > /dev/lpt0", the output is
> >  just a line of characters including something untelligible. After
> >  setupping /etc/printcap(without any filter specified) and
> >  invoking lpd, "lptest | lpr" get the same result.
>=20
> no clue...
>=20
>=20
> > When I try to print sth. to it, using "ps | lpr" or "myls
> > | lpr" or "lpr -r myfile", though the paper is fed in, nothing is
> > printed.
>=20
> in last case you should have gotten something.  was lpd running
> while you did "ps | lpr"?  any errors in lpd error log?  this error
> log file is specified in the printcap.
>=20
>=20
> > Is there some special filter I should use to make my HP laserjet
> > printer work correctly? If so, what's it and where can I get it?
>=20
> assuming hp 5l is a ps (postscript) printer...
>=20
> i too have a ps printer (lexmark optra e310) and i use enscript
> (available from ports) as the input filter.  enscript converts
> non-ps, non-pcl (, and perhaps non-pdf) files to ps before printing.
>=20
> i happened to see mention of hp 5l laserjet in ghostscript-gnu port;
> see if that would offer any additional benefit over enscript.
>=20
>=20
>   - parv
>=20
> --=20
> =20
>=20
>=20
--=20
`Linux is for people who hate Microsoft.  FreeBSD is for people who love
UNIX.`

Website accessible from http://www.lewiz.info/
GPG public keyring: http://www.westwood.karoo.net/pubring.gpg