Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 03:20:49 -0500
From:      Tom Jackson <toj@gorillanet.gorilla.net>
To:        Rob <drifter@stratos.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aic0 troubles... Can CAM be disabled in FreeBSD-CURRENT?

Is your source 8/31 or newer? 8/31 was about the right time to do the elf
upgrade. The cam integration was on 9/15. If you source that date or later,
you will SOL for running the 1502. Running CAM is NOT optional if you update
to current source.

If you are running current, GENERICupgrade does come into play, only used
for stable upgrades.

On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 05:43:10PM -0400, Rob wrote:

> 	Unfortunately, I was bit by the aic situation too.  I have an AIC 1520B
> card running on a 3.0-08311998-SNAP running with no problems. Then I
> decided it was time to take the big plunge and upgrade to ELF.
> 	Before I did this, I noticed this lack of aic support problem
> on the current mailing list, and discovered that it wouldn't run
> under CAM.
> 	Since I had seen an `options CAM' in my GENERICupgrade
> kernel after cvsuping to the latest sources (I thought), I assumed that
> CAM was optional, and as long as I didn't upgrade to it (regardless of
> whether I had ELF or not), I would be fine.
> 	So I backed up GENERICupgrade, then made the changes of
> getting rid of the `option CAM' and the `da' and `sa' devices before
> doing a `make aout-to-elf-build', `shutdown now', and `make aout-to-
> elf install'.
      ^^^^^^- this (make aout-to-elf-install) will install elf binaries etal
 but your old kernel will still work.

> 	After the aout and elf stuff was built in /usr/obj, it began
> the upgrade process in building the kernel, and then with `make depend':
>
> ... blah blah ...
> cc: ../../dev/aic6x60/aic.c: No such file or directory
> cc: ../../i386/isa/aic_isa.c: No such file or directory
>
> (These did exist in the ../../compile/GENERICupgrade directory, however...
> $ ls aic*
> aic.h
> aic7xxx_reg.h
> aic7xxx_seq.h
> aicasm
> aicasm.o
> aicasm_gram.c
> aicasm_gram.o
> aicasm_scan.c
> aicasm_scan.o
> aicasm_symbol.o
> ).
>
> 	What gives here?  Did I have to do something special to disable
> CAM besides getting rid of options CAM.  Is CAM really "built-in" so
> there's no way to disable it in CURRENT?  Is it a requirement for ELF?
> Did I have any business assuming I could disable CAM just because I saw
> it as an option to the GENERICupgrade config file?
>
> 	By the way, my computer is in single user mode as I write.
> Can I safely reboot the system and restart it with my old kernel (the
> ELF binaries were not installed yet...) with no problems until the
> aic drivers are rewritten?
> 	Where can I find out more about CAM anyway?
>
> 	Thanks,
>
> 	-Rob

Sorry if this not what you were asking. Good luck,

--
Tom