Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 1996 22:48:14 -0500
From:      "Tim M. Kelley" <tkelley@cy.com>
To:        michelle@fishbone.com (Michelle Brownsworth), questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot problem with new FreeBSD install

At 12:56 AM 2/2/96 -0800, Michelle Brownsworth wrote:
>In preparation for installing FreeBSD, I bought a new Western Digital
>1.6 GB drive.  It was to have one 528K DOS partition and the remaining
>1+ GB was to be allocated to FreeBSD.  Since I have an IDE CD drive that

If you change your IDE configuration so that the CD is the slave device on
the primary IDE controller or ribbon, FreeBSD may be able to install from
the IDE CD. I did this and was able to install.

Then you can customize the kernel (once you are actually able to boot
FreeBSD) so that the IDE CD is recognized on boot up. Email me or ask
freebsd-questions for more info on doing this. Actually, I submitted a FAQ
to the documentation team about this, but it hasn't shown up on the web yet.

>But when I rebooted and selected F2 from the BootEasy menu--uh oh--same
>problem.  I went back and doublechecked everything--and I do mean
>everything--again, but no joy.

I'm unsure from your comments whether you have one or two hard drives. If
you have two hard drives and you installed FreeBSD on the second, the
booteasy boot manager won't boot FreeBSD. I don't know that this is
generally true, but I've seen it mentioned a few times on the
freebsd-questions list. Also, I had the same problem.

You ought to be able to boot FreeBSD by placing the FreeBSD boot floppy into
the floppy drive and when prompted for the boot drive, enter
wd(2,a)/kernel
if you installed the kernel on the second hard drive. You may need to try
modify the above line based on how you partitioned your hard drive.

You can get rid of the booteasy boot manager by running under DOS the
command FDISK /MBR
This replaces the original DOS master boot record.

It is supposedly possible to make a custom boot floppy that will
automatically go to the appropriate boot location for FreeBSD, but I haven't
gotten around to trying this. If you are interested in the instructions that
were passed on to me for this, just email me.

>So, I'm stymied.  What should be a fairly straight-forward install has
>turned into quite a thrash...  Anybody have any ideas?

I second the comment on what should be a straight-forward install. I had
lots of trouble too.

Tim Kelley