Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2002 15:36:35 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Source of "processor correctable error"?

Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de> wrote:
> > > Warning: received processor correctable error.
> > These are most likely main memory errors.
>
> Indeed one of the SIMMs is bad.  Annoyingly this halves the amount
> of memory and the memory bus width in the box.

Verify that it's the SIMMs, by swapping them.  It may be that
your wide path is broken, instead.

> What are my chances of replacing the faulty SIMM?  Can I just
> substitute any other 72-pin FP-DRAM 8Mx36 (32MB ECC) 60ns SIMM, or
> are all modules required to be exactly alike?  SIMMs of this general
> type are still available at somewhat unreasonable prices I guess,
> but finding one that shares exactly the same organization and God
> knows what parameters seems unlikely.

Usually, you want them to be the same, because of slight differences
in timing that come from method of manufacture and internal logic
design.  You can generally get away with matching banks with the
same address select.

My main source of these things is PS/2 memory suppliers, but I
don't know your bus speed, so I don't know if this will work
for you.

-- Terry