Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:53:45 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whats is this? FBSD 4.1 isn't stable!

* O. Hartmann <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de> [000920 13:47] wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> Dear  A. Perlstein.
> Well ... my sendmail is configured to warp lines at 70 characters, I do not
> know why it is not working.
>
> The problem I described is simply not that what I expect due to a hardware
> malfunction. I already checked all connectors, memory - nothing! There is
> nothing that seems to be different from a few days ago. Overheating is not
> on the list of possibilities - due to changing weather conditions its
> really "cold" herein (about 20 degrees Celsius). But in the summertime I never
> have had this error - and at this time, the server is not under heavy load.
> It is strange ... really strange ...
>
> Well, on the other hand: it is not ECC RAM, so ...

Here's what you're saying:

  I have a relatively quiencent (sp?) system, basically it's not stressed.

  After doing cvsup, makeworld and another cvsup in a pretty short
  amount of time, ie. making the CPUs spin pretty hard for a long
  time, I get a classical memory error/heating problem symptom.

Lastly where is your crashdump so someone can actually do something
about this?

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kerneldebug.html

thanks,
-Alfred