Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 22:42:22 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Brett or no Brett?

Doug,

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 09:53:04AM -0700, Doug wrote:
> My whole purpose in responding to this one is simply to point out to those
> members of the list that may not know better that the FreeBSD project is
> not above criticism, and they need not fear expressing their opinions. It
> really isn't WHAT you say brett, in fact, it's not even really HOW you say
> it. Frankly, it's YOU brett. We don't like you.

You've got your priorities backwards.  You should be reading the message,
and not the messenger.  I find that makes dealing with e-mail much less
stressful.

If you only want to read messages from people you like then you (and anyone
else that has this problem) should invest some time learning procmail.

Brett's raising interesting points, he's not resorting to flaming and other
abuse and is, IMHO, showing a great deal of restraint in the face of
considerable provocation.

It may very well be that Brett's fears are groundless, that the concerns
he has about WC and how they might feel about a 'competing' packaging of
FreeBSD are empty, and that this whole issue can be resolved to everyone's
satisfaction.

In the meantime, I'm seeing a large number of people respond to Brett's
messages without actually answering the questions he's asking, or
qualifying their answers with so many 'perhaps', 'maybe', and 'possibly'
that it's no wonder that he's having to repeat his questions, because
no one's answering them.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>