Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 14:08:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Keith <dkeith@devo.sfasu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vt100 emulation, getty and termcap problems

After looking at the mailing list archives and searching anything I could
think of I'm still at a loss of how to fix my problem.

I'm using the sco console driver (sc0) in the kernel and I set TERM to
vt100/vt102/vt220 and probably about anything vtXXX related.  By the way,
here's one of my lines for my virtual terminal in /etc/ttys

ttyv1	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25 on secure

I've tried to change cons25 to one of the many vtXXX related termcap
entries and even pcvt50 (saw in archives).  Ok...enough background...

Here's my problem.  When I try to telnet to a DEC server, I consistently
get "unknown terminal type".  Even though TERM is equal to let's say
vt100.  Now the strange thing is, when I come from a Linux system, through
my FreeBSD system and then to the DEC it works fine, regardless of which
TERM I use.  (as long as it isn't cons25)  Is there a way to fix this?
I need to go between all three systems easily.  Any more suggestions will
be greatly appreciated.  Also if you need more info on my setup, let me
know.

David