Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 14:07:47 -0600
From:      David Syphers <dbsypher@uchicago.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wordperfect install problem

At 08:19 PM 5/12/00 -0600, David Syphers wrote:
>When I try to make WordPerfect in the ports, it fails with the error
>"invalid environment variable TERM=cons25" and asks me to change
>TERM.  I'm not sure what to do, since this was on a fresh install (of the
>May 11 -STABLE) and I haven't changed anything in the
>environment.  Ideas?  Thanks,

Okay, I figured it out and thought that I should reply to myself so that
this gets in the archives (as far as I can tell, this info isn't there, and
I'm sure I'm not the only one to ever do this).

What I figured out empirically: TERM stands for "terminal" and tells what
type of display you're using.  "cons25" means that I was using a 25-line
console.  What WP wants is "TERM=xterm", which will automatically be the
case when you're in XWindows.  So the point is install WP from XWindows,
and not from a text console.

-David